Monday, August 22, 2005

The readership of this waning experiment remains sporadic and disinterested: quick clicks from random searches, a faithful sister, occasional hits from a curious windy-city grad student who picked it up in the Crooked Corners Library, a pair who write their own exquisite blog in Greece and one bored co-worker. My own mother only thinks to read it after we talk on the phone, and my so-called best friend the psychic can't get into it--"too tricky," she says, which is fine. Why would she bother to read what she already knows via smoother supernatural channels? We foraging creatures on the move have very little time to waste. And after all, our friends and family have only low-interest stock in our aesthetic forays, knowing full well that a true investment would not pay off, much. I suspect most human relationships hinge on convenience of geographic or genetic happenstance despite the advances we have made in communication and transportation. Out of sight, out of mind, they say, and in this busy 21st century, techie doodads and clogged roadways limit loyalty to coincidental meetings or the stubborn effort of social holdouts like myself as much as deserts and broken telegraph wires did 150 years ago.

Following the line of that tangent, last night, opting against reruns or getting too far into a new book after having just finished Gore Vidal's illuminating Burr, I shoved myself out the door and into the car in order to drive the five miles canyon-wise to town...("to town" in this place where everything is a town sounds anachronistic, doesn't it, like foghorns or the bellow of tule elk). Town, of course, stops short of the water, and that was my true goal: to face out into the dark swell and contemplate absence. But some odd unknown barge of floodlights sat offshore and fine-lined my shadow, as if I had come onto a cabaret stage to sing. Nothing doing. Instead I walked away from salt and sand back up to the street, where someone I know, ancillary to someone else I know better, was checking his cell phone messages in the doorway of a restaurant.

Aaron, more than a little inebriated, said that he was in search of a cheeseburger, which he believed would make him less drunk so he could drive to LA. The restaurant was inconveniently closed, however, so he lured me another block, bought some Cheetos at a liquor store and ate them on our way back to the club where our mutual friend Jason lurked somewhere inside. I shared with Aaron the regret that I hadn't heard from Jason for a long time, since before I headed south into suburbia, and that all emails and phone calls, spaced far apart, had not received a reply. "Stay here," Aaron said, patting me on the back and wiping his cheese doodle fingers on my linen shirt. "I'll go get him." Half an hour later, the friend I've known for eight years finally wandered out, so far gone that he wouldn't recognize his own reflection, much less someone he hasn't seen for 20 months. So I tugged him over and kept our reaquaintance lecture free, discerned from his wide pupils and angry voice that his soapy life had endured predictable lumps as of late. Aaron scolded Jason for dwelling, but our friend shook his head and said, "Erik hasn't heard it."

Well, that's a shame.

4 comments:

soap said...

Waxing, not waning.

It's easy to get discouraged, to want sth back, sth more. Everybody who has a blog goes through this (and that's everybody). Blogs are a dime a dozen; that's the beauty of them, but for the same reason, the good ones are hard to find and many of them go unnoticed. There are ways to promote a blog, if that's what you want (hi mom), but there's also the "if you build it, they will come" philosophy.

Your blog, unlike so many, has a platform, a purpose, a consistency. Your writing is both rigorous and eloquent; your politics are sound. The enterprise IS tricky, but I think you've proved that it's worth it.

That said, a personal tangent is nice, from time to time. (And thanks so much for the compliment.)

Anonymous said...

Siss is right!

Our blog has been there too (of course back then I was alone, Sissy would never have let me get that desperate I think...)

Erik said...

Thanks. I started this blog somewhere else and moved it to Blogger in the hopes that it might get more readers, but it does not. The "next blog" feature never seems to point people my way (at least according to my stat counter).

The blog may wax, we'll see, but then I might find something else altogether in which to pointlessly dabble, as I do from time to time.

soap said...

Nice doodles! (But keep writing. The blog may wane, but you could do something with its contents somewhere else.)