Wednesday, November 16, 2005

After a year, thor_progeny web log hasn't caught on, and it has become more of a burden than a privilege or something I enjoy. I write every day, but fiction is easier for me. So thanks for reading, to those who did.

NPR reports that the number of grizzlies in the Yellowstone area has "tripled" since they were placed on the endangered species list (as threatened), but neglects to mention that there are still only 600 of them when it talks of their removal from that maligned roll call of human folly. Time Magazine may place Mother Nature as its "Man of the Year," but not because of its beauty or shredded interconnectedness. Because of bad weather that destroyed some manmade things.

It would be encouraging if people took an interest in their environment, reached out to the world that surrounds them (or once did), but it may be too late. People walk around looking down into their cell phones, punching numbers, seeing if that pic worked, watching tv shows, listening to music instead of birds (instead of traffic); they are focused on the foreground of man and technology, and the intricacies of the wild are left to schoolchildren and field trips, rare geologists and biologists who inevitably schill for corporate donors (or bosses), even against their intentions: "Save this poor acreage here, and you can develop all the rest." The world is not about rare butterflies and snakes; but these are the details that in concert create a vivid orchestra; we are down to solos and not even complete sonatas, now...down to measures, notes, and one day, silence.

Quiet photographs of Yellowstone National Park in October. What's left.


5 comments:

soap said...

I (for one) am very sorry that it's finally come to this. I think your blog is a model of what a blog can be. Aesthetically, simply put, it's lovely. You've got a platform that's disciplined and focused and worthy of more; you are right about that. Your writing (your thinking) is incisive, judicious, seductive. It's everything good writing should be. I hope you'll keep it up, in some other form, and keep in touch too.

Erik said...

Thanks. I had one regular reader (you, or you two) and a few irregular readers, but they don't like to talk about that in mixed company.

It's only a blog, after all; there are millions of them, or kajillions, even more. I was just playing with words in the hopes something I wrote stuck for a change. After a year of industrial-strength Teflon, I think I can safely say it's not sticking.

Besides, if it had gone somewhere, if the general public caught on to the theme and message, what a burden! People would want to know my last name so they could crucify me on a.m. radio. I can live without that. I'll just recycle in private, give my $25 to National Wildlife every year and leave it at that.

I'll still stop by your blog. And If I start up something else, I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...

You know what, I can't be a judge of your writing skills and merits, since I am not skilled myself, but I believe what sissy says.

However I truly appreciate(d) your trying to do something about this little planet, and I hope you will not be disappointed.

I don't know much about blogs or the way they work, I have no idea why yours has not attracted more attention (are you sure it hasn't?).

It may not be a coincidence that my closest friend who is really ecologically sensitive, has ended up living alone with his two dogs in a house he built himself, cultivating his own vegetables, in a 10-house village on the top of a lonely mountain in one of the loneliest islands of the Greek archipelago.

Maybe people just don't wanna know...

Well, take care!

PS. Hey sissy, what's more, a zillion or a kajillion?

soap said...

Average number of new blogs created each second (according to a reliable, but completely fluff-oriented source): 1.

It's hard to get the recognition you deserve, and it's hard not to want it. But don't resort to the mountaintop just yet.

Although... the windswept tundras of outer Mongolia might be a good place to live green AND contemplate the finer points of obscenely unweildy integers. You could live in a yurt, write postcards and novels. You could start a new blog. Anything is possible.

Sarah Elaine said...

Well, I suppose it is ironic that I just found your blog today (through Sissy and Steph, actually...)

I like what I've read. Sorry there won't be more of it.

I wonder about why I blog sometimes... for me... for others... Still don't know the answers.

If you decide to keep going, let me know, OK?